- Fourth most common cancer in the U.S. behind breast, lung and colon cancer.
- Most common gynecologic malignancy.
- Eighth leading cause of female mortality from cancer.
- 97% arise from the endometrium (endometrial carcinoma).
- 3% arise from the mesenchymal components (sarcoma).
Uterine cancer – signs and symptoms
- Painless vaginal bleeding or spotting is key sign.
- Pap spear not dependable for detection.
- Direct aspiration of cells provides best analysis.
- Late signs of malignancy include palpable mass, discomfort or pressure in lower abdomen, bleeding following intercourse.
Risk factors for uterine cancer
O = Obesity
L = Late menopause
D = Diabetes mellitus
A = cAncer: ovarian,breast,colon
U = Unopposed estrogen
N = Nulliparity
T = Tamoxifen, chronic use
How uterine cancer looks like?
Links to some studies relating to uterine cancer
- This link provides areas of research that may include new options
for patients through clinical trials.
- This link provides information about endometrial cancer
treatment, prevention, causes, screening, clinical trials, research
- The link given below is a link to Uterine Cancer Research Program